Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM)
The Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) allows visualization of surface features of a solid sample by scanning through an electron beam. SEM has better resolution capability and depth of field than a light microscope. As a result of which good quality three dimensional like images are obtained. In advanced SEM machine, magnification can range from 10× to 5000× and resolution of about 1 nm.
Samples from textile industry, pharmaceutical industry, ceramic industry, polymer industry and other allied industries can be tested on this SEM.
Scanning Electron Microscope JEOL JSM 5400 at BTRA
Samples which can be Analyzed
A wide range of materials whose morphology can be routinely analyzed include:
- Metals, Glass, Ceramics and Polymers
- Fibers (Textile, Glass, Asbestos, Natural)
- Powders and Dust
- Pharmaceutical powder, pellets, capsules
Samples can be analyzed provided these are vacuum compatible and not damaged by heat produced by electron beams.
Range of Applications
- Examination of surface morphology
- Defect analysis of textile materials
- Cross-section and longitudinal imaging of filaments/yarns
- Powder morphology, particle size and analysis
Frequently asked questions
- What is surface morphology?
It is about the shape, size, textures and features present on the sample surface.
- Will coating destroy the sample surface morphology?
No, the gold/silver coating is too thin to hide the sample morphology.
- Can our suspension be analyzed?
Samples which contain volatile liquids can be analyzed.
- Can SEM give the quantitative information?
SEM provides micrographs with scales which can be used to get some quantitative information like the distance between two points on the micrograph. It can also be used to find the pore size, shape of a feature. But, it does not provide topographical height information like AFM does.
- Can we analyze porous material?
We can see the pore size and its shape but for the quantitative determination of degree of porosity other kind of tests is required.
- Can we find the color images?
SEM originally gives black and white images. Nowadays, some feature extracting softwares are used to generate color of the sample surface features.
- How to contact for SEM analysis?
Kindly call our laboratory manger at the following ‘contact us’ for further details.
A Gallery of SEM Lab Images
Fabric Defect: Holes in the Fabric
Cross-Sectional images of Fibres
Pharmaceutical and Biological Samples
Other SEM Images